18 August 2011

Strike a Manly Pose

Today Hub and I were discussing the joy we got as children when our parents received the JC Penney & Sears catalogs around Christmas time.  This is an activity that our daughter has been completely deprived of as absolutely no one sends consumers a 4" thick catalog anymore. (Or if they do I haven't seen any!) Of course, with the internet it doesn't make financial sense for a merchant to spend the time & money on an actual catalog.

But there was something amazing about getting that giant book in the mail.  As kids we would quickly skip over all the boring things and hit the toy section which was pages and pages and pages of dream fodder. Ahh.... the time spent flipping through looking at Barbie condominiums, Slinkies, Monchichis, Speak n Spells, Tinker Toys, Stretch Armstrong, jumping/bounce horses...it was wonderful.

Since I was one of four children, my mother used to allot each of us time with the catalog to avoid fighting (it didn't work) and once an large brawl broke out when one of my sisters used a pair of scissors to cut a few items out of the catalog thus keeping any of us from "picking that" for a Christmas gift.

Looking back on it now, I was so busy drooling over toys that the GOLD buried within the pages of those 1970's catalogs was lost on me.  What I wouldn't do to have JUST ONE of those entire books in my possession.....after all....what the FRAK is better than THIS:

No comments:

Post a Comment