17 June 2011

I Have Gas

I'm a firm believer in the thought that you purchase a new car so that car trouble isn't an issue. The trade off of the car payment is the fact that car doesn't have problems.

I've had plenty of 'cash cars'.  You pay your cash. You are amazed for 30-120 days. The car needs work. End of story.

That's fine. I'm good with that. But technology being what it is today, if I'm making a car payment there should be no reason for me to need 'repairs' outside of tires and brakes.

I'm driving to work a couple of weeks ago; minding my own business just enjoying the smell of my venti Americano from Starbucks that I plan to down as fast as I can as soon as it's cool enough when I hit the gas pedal and. . . . nothing seems to happen.  I look at all my gauges and items that are supposed to light up.  Nothing.  Hmmm.... try again and "ping" the check engine light comes on.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Where the hell am I?  In less than 5 miles I'll hit No Man's Land.  Not a shoulder. Not an exit. Nothing. It's one of those awesome sections of freeway where they smash everyone in together and say "good luck!" I punch the gas again and get notta thing.  The "check oil" light pings.  Dammit.

I put on my hazards and see a sign saying my next exit is 6 furlongs away. (For those who don't follow horse racing...a furlong is 1/8 of a mile. When I give distances, it's in furlongs. You do the math.) I hope to make it...

Thankfully I do make the exit and drift off the freeway at a whopping 2 mph.  I call Hub to tell him what's up.  First words out of his mouth are, "Do you have gas?"  Um. Well DUR.  I'm not stupid. Of course I have GAS.  Are you kidding me? I examine every single gauge ....I have a little more than a quarter tank of gas, check engine, check oil, not over heating, not smoking, not smelling funny....just not running. He says, "Where are you?" I tell him. He says, "Sit tight. I'm calling a tow truck. I'm on my way to wait with you."

I sit tight.

Fourteen minutes go by and my phone rings. It's Hub. The following comes over the phone, "Well. I've had a blow out. I'm ten minutes from you but I need to change my tire." Seriously? Baby, just change the damn thing and go to Discount Tire.  I'll call you when the tow truck arrives.

Fast forward to almost lunch time.  Hub has a new tire. My car's at the shop. I'm at work; Hub's at work. We're waiting on the verdict.  Cell phone rings. I answer. "Ma'am?" I hear. "Yes." I say.  A kindly voice says, "Well, we know what's wrong with your car."  "OH?" I say.  The voice says, "Yes, ma'am. You ran out of gas."

WTF????????????? I say, "Um. NO WAY. I stared intently at every light and gauge on the dash! It never said I was out of gas!" The voice says, "No. It wouldn't. Your gas gauge is broken."

So, I'm one of those folks who waits for the **ping** and the lighted symbol of a gas pump.  Not any more.  I fill up at 250 miles w/o fail.

So.....$65 dollars later.....I'm at peace with being a dumbass.

No comments:

Post a Comment